The fourth week of the St Peter’s College online programme for Co-Curricular activities will kick off soon!
Our cultural programme also moves on despite the rigours and challenges of our national lockdown. Variety is the spice of life, and our teachers have made a brilliant effort at giving you, our students, a smorgasbord of choices to whet your soul. (Look up both words, haha). Also, watch out this week for an exciting announcement on SPC in partnership with a significant player in the live entertainment industry in South Africa. Again, because I miss seeing you and your bright faces, feel free to reach out to me via email. Is Netflix enough or have you been watching the online programmes of the Metropolitan Opera from New York, made a virtual tour of the Louvre (Paris) or the offering made by the National Theatre in the UK?
So, which activity will you join this week?
St Peter’s College offers excellent interaction, training and inspiration for our sportsmen and women. Here are some focus points:
1. General Fitness and Conditioning Sessions: Three sessions per week with our resident Sports Scientist and National Water Polo Player, Mr Badenhorst. These are posted in every Monday, Wednesday and Friday in Cross Country MS Team, Squash Fitness 2020 MS Team, Hockey 2020 MS Team, Rugby 2020 and Netball 2020 MS Team. This is also linked to our monitoring app, called Visual Coaching Programme (VCP), which enables Mr Badenhorst to create a personal sport-specific programme for our athletes. Contact Mr Badenhorst on firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not part of the initiative yet.
2. BelievePerform Platform is a dedicated Sport Psychology platform available exclusively to St Peter’s College students, parents and teachers. Short courses and videos guide the viewer seamlessly to a better understanding of their current mind space. Contact Mr Short, our Head of Sport, on email@example.com if you are unsure about how to access this excellent opportunity. This programme has been running now for three weeks and is a great success.
3. Chess: Ms Walugembe and our Chess Master, Nhlanhla, have been running online training and tournaments. Please refer to the Chess letter detailing the lichess.org participation and practice session under the Week Two Files on the SPCCulture MS Team. Contact Ms Walugembe on firstname.lastname@example.org for any clarity.
4. Equestrian: Mrs Van der Wel continues to chat and keep contact via WhatsApp. Even though there are no competitions hopes soon, our riders are encouraged to keep fit with Mr Badenhorst’ s videos.
5. Hockey: The boys and girls teams continued in the last week to challenge each other with videos and exercises. Check out the Hockey 2020 MS Team, and you will not be disappointed. First Team Coach and former National Hockey Player, Chester Scott as well as Matthew Amner, an alumnus of St. Peter’s College post videos that your hockey-loving heart will eat up. Contact Mr Short, our Head of Sport, on email@example.com to access this team.
6. Netball: Ms Van Schalkwyk, our netball guru and two alumni, Deyna Joseph and Caitlin Moorhouse, lead with drills and netball specific exercises at least twice a week. Try some of their challenges; it is fun but exhausting to complete! Contact Ms Van Schalkwyk on firstname.lastname@example.org to join these girls!
7. Rugby: The Rugby 2020 MS Team continues with the world-class series “Going Pro” created by an alumnus, Cameron Sugden. Even if Rugby is not your thing, I once again encourage all students, parents and teachers to view this series. It is ground-breaking and gives a slice of reality to the demands, both physical and psychological, and rigours in professional sport. Gleaned from his time as an intern with an international rugby franchise, the series is slick and a superior offering! Go have a look. Afterwards, do the yoga session!
8. Squash: Sport-specific skills and drills are loaded at least twice a week by our coaches, Mr Ledl and Mr Vergotine. Contact Mr Kirkland on email@example.com to join them or access the Squash Fitness MS Team.
9. St Petrian: Ms Ismail continues with weekly online editorial meetings on Thursdays at 15:00 for our school newspaper. Our journalists are submitting ideas for articles, and the St Petrian 2020 MS Team is well established. Contact Ms Ismail on firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to join the editorial team. They are planning a bi-weekly newsletter, and it could be “posting” as soon as 3 June!
10. Photography: Under the leadership of Ms De Bruin, the photography course is on-going with weekly online lessons each Friday with Zikayla from Future Photographerz as well as daily challenges on WhatsApp. Contact Ms De Bruin on email@example.com if you are interested in joining up. Also, check out the Photography 2020 MS Team. Did you notice the photos on Facebook? Please keep submitting via email to Mr Botha by Friday, 17:00 each week, and maybe your photo will feature!
11. First Aid: Captain, Kerryn Hayter, has prepared a fun and informal video on how to handle burns. To view it, use this link:https://web.microsoftstream.com/video/a528c255-d6ea-4307-81d1-15a2fce4534a . This has also been posted on both SPCCulture MS Team and First Aid 2020 MS Team. To join the First Aid 2020 MS Team, please use q3xwos2 as a joining code. Please feel free to contact Mrs Hopwood on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
12. Eco-Pets: Our Eco-Pets are looking at WATER this week. The environmental committee has weekly meetings with Mr Du Toit in the Environmental Committee MS Team for ways to create awareness etc. Plans for an SPC food garden and some weird tunnels are afoot. Contact Mr Du Toit on email@example.com to join the team.
13. Tour de Maths: Its showdown throwdown on Monday, 25 May from 17:00 – 19:30 when the next round will take place. The joining link is https://forms.gle/BDTVzy6mS4sNHZsw6 . Please contact Mrs Lindsay on firstname.lastname@example.org for the rules and to learn more about the club.
14. AD@M: Mr Trapani and the AD@M 2020 MS Team offers more than ten different channels for those interested in Visual Art, Design and Media. This week the focus comes from an alumnus, Anthony van Kerckhoven, as he discusses cell phone photo apps. Contact Mr Trapani on email@example.com to find out more or join the team.
15. Choir: Mr. van Zyl, broadcasting from Heidelberg, will teach us this week all about the different types of choirs. The links to the videos can be found in the SPCCulture MS Team under Files>Week Four. Pop him a mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) to suggest new topics or just to have a chat.
16. Dance: Mrs Maneli-Motsisi has started specialized MS Teams for Contemporary Dancers (SPC Dance Contemporary MS Team) and Street Dancers (SPC Street Dance MS Team) and feature rehearsal as well as warm-up videos. Please note that due to these two new portals, Dance 2020 MS Team no longer exists. This week, contemporary dancers are in for a treat as, one of our Dance Captains, Thato Kobe, is gearing up to share some moves with us. I hope you also saw the stunning videos shared on Facebook! Contact Mrs Maneli on email@example.com to become part of the dance crew!
17. Debating: Coming up this week, Tuesday, our Mouth Warriors will be duking it out with Crawford. We wish them well! Contact Mr Hiemstra on firstname.lastname@example.org is you want to join the Mouth Warriors! Meanwhile, the weekly practice sessions continue, join in when you have a moment. Their online debate on the rights of healthcare workers last week was fascinating!
18. Drama: Mrs Miles has even established a wonderful website: https://crystallauren1.wixsite.com. Contact Mrs Miles on email@example.com to join the podcast writing team. Mr Doneda will be a guest lecturer this week!
19. Music: I have been astounded and amazed by Mr Lottering and the musicians with their Couch Session – The QuaranTEEN Concert Series on Facebook. All students of St. Peter’s College are welcome to join, even if they are not Subject Music students. Contact Mr Lottering on firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your video performance. What will they be doing this week?
20. Public Speaking: With Mrs Koukoutsis at the helm, our public speakers will look at how to compile and perform a Retraction Speech in Week Four. How do you say I changed my mind when you are a politician? The documents can be found in SPCCulture MS Team under Files>Week Four.
May I wish you all a healthy and hale week!
Above all, have fun!